Friday, June 02, 2006

Presenting…Balmoral in the early stages!

Merry (my teammate in the Amazing Lace) and I had a fantastic first day together. We cast on the requisite twelve stitches that will eventually make up Balmoral, the thistle motif dinner table cloth that will be gifted to my grandmother on her birthday. After a tiny bump in the road – I forgot about those pesky plain knit even rows! – we clicked along at a rapid pace and reached round 20 by the end of the day. Merry and I have discovered a shared passion for cinema and decided to host our own “Dinner & a Movie” for two. We pulled out a favorite DVD, and were delighted to discover this in the kitchen:



Try clicking on the picture if you are having a hard time reading the label on the can. Can you guess the movie we selected? Hint: we didn’t have the liver of a census taker handy so we fixed a simple vegetarian meal.

Progress continued this week and last night we found ourselves on the verge of moving to Chart B where all the thistle fun begins. We are quite optimistic that we will be able to complete our knitting, blocking, and gift wrapping so Balmoral will be winging her way westward by the end of August. My only frustration at this point is working a circular project on three dpns as it makes it very hard to see the developing pattern.



Merry, ever the cheerful one, displayed the considerable amount of research she had done on Balmoral Castle prior to the commencement of the Lace.



I didn’t see it at first but then it dawned on me: Merry was doing an imitation of the Cairngorm Mountains, in the heart of which Balmoral Castle is located! Merry is quite a hank of laceweight, isn’t she?

2 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Rachel said...

Looking good! I'm glad you got a lace teammate with so much personality -- I think it'll help you see this ambitious project through to completion!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your work very much thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home