Monday, May 22, 2006

Wild hair weekend

Reader emails
Thanks, Katherine and Kirsten, for the lovely compliments on the lace knitting!

Snow, I think we’re all going to be knitting on the Ring shawl until we’re the stereotypical little old lady knitters. ;-) Honestly, I don’t know how it is that Laritza on the Heirloom Knitting group has made so much progress so quickly. Doing a little more of the geeky number-crunching thing, if it took Sharon Miller (according to the inserts with the Ring shawl pattern) 3 hours of knitting each day for six months to complete the shawl [insert sounds of computer beeping a la 60’s and 70’s tv shows]... Okay. 6 months rounds up to 183 days; 3 hours per day for 183 days is 549 hours; 332,630 stitches in 549 hours is 606 stitches per hour. At my current rate of progress, I average 329 stitches per hour. I’m a turtle!

Susoolu, the silk really is worth the effort! I had to restart after a tragic fiber breakage, but (even though I am a turtle compared to Sharon) I focus on deliberate knitting so I don’t make tink-able mistakes. And we’ve already seen what the silk can do with a dropped stitch. *grimace* Let’s hear it for run-stopping yarnovers!

Knitting
Not a whole lot of knitting progress to report after the weekend. I knit a single row on the Wedding Ring Shawl and a few rounds on Frost Flowers & Leaves. Nothing picture worthy at all.




However, the first wild hair idea of the weekend centers around knitting. I’m getting set to cast on for Balmoral (Amazing Lace challenge) next weekend and my teammate is white merino laceweight. But... I have in my stash green merino laceweight and purple merino laceweight. (Regular readers of FtLoW will recognize the purple laceweight as Frost Flowers & Leaves.) What about using the green merino and intarsia the thistles in the purple merino? I’ve never attempted intarsia, but I wouldn’t let that stop me. I’m still planning on knitting Balmoral for my grandmother in the white merino but my sister’s favorite colors are purple and green. I think I’ve made a love connection. Any thoughts on intarsia lace knitting?

The other wild hair
This wild hair is going to need a little backstory set-up first. A few years ago, I felt fantastic. I was at a good weight. I worked in the city which meant that I utilized public transportation – lots of walking. I also made it my habit to walk up the stairs to my office – on the ninth floor. I never needed an alarm clock to wake up; my body did it all on its own. I loved my job and I loved my life.

Fast forward to 2005. I don’t work in the city anymore so I drive to work. My office is on the second floor. 15 pounds have crept on to my frame. I need an alarm clock to wake up and usually end up snoozing it for 20-30 minutes before rolling out of bed. I love my job but my life isn’t so rosy.

I tried several different methods of eating to lose those extra pounds but to no avail. Finally three weeks ago, I decided that I needed to start walking. I live in a wonderful community which has miles of walking/jogging/biking paths. Even better, a lot of them go through the woods. I bought a pair of shoes and hit the pavement. I started out by walking for half an hour and have calculated the distance to be a mile and a half route. This past weekend on both Saturday and Sunday, I took a three mile route and finished it in under an hour. In the past two full weeks of walking, I have gained a pound but lost almost a full dress size. I wake up half an hour earlier than the time set on my alarm clock, and I am eager to get out of bed and greet the day.

Ready for the wild hair? While walking yesterday, a memory popped out of my mind like the jack in a jack-in-the-box. I recalled years ago someone in my former acquaintance participated in the Breast Cancer
3-Day walk benefiting the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I am certain I don’t have enough time to train to get in one of the walks later in the year – it takes at least six months to prepare for a 60 mile walk, so I’ve read – but definitely I can be ready for a 2007 walk. It’s a great goal to set for myself and, though I haven’t been personally touched by breast cancer thank God, let’s face it. I have breasts.

3 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Zibraltar said...

Interesting .. loved the Ralph waldo emerson quote ..btw, do yu read napolean hill ? ..

Also , check out my blog and put in some review citiesinindia.blogspot.com ..
thanks,
Zib

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger KnitNana said...

An admirable and enviable goal! I've been thinking I need to start walking more, too...NOW will I do it? I like your idea of intarsia Balmoral (but am a wimp when it comes to intarsia!) - cannot wait to see what you do with it...

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intarsia and lace

Look at Jackie's beautiful intarisia & lace butterfly shawl at
http://www.needlebeetle.com/gallery/galtss.htm
I think she frogged the entire thing
because she used to work on it when she had coffee with her husband and then he suddenly passed away and it became too hard to work on it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home