Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Scary

But for a leg injury, my daughter and I would have been smack in the middle of the area affected by the police station shootings yesterday in northern Virginia. Thanks to the leg injury we didn't go to her after-school activity and were home when the news started breaking about the police station. It's scary...and it brought back the horror of the beltway snipers from a few years ago. I could do without that feeling ever again.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. One family is paying the ultimate price. I pray the other family won't.

On to happier blogging items.

I finally pulled my pictures off the digital camera and have transferred them to my computer at home. We'll start off with the Wedding Ring Shawl repair.



The area needing assistance is the loose loops of silk just below the red stitch marker seen in the top center of the photo. You can see what it should look like just to the right of this area, under the other red stitch marker. Armed with my tools and as much courage as I could muster (thanks to the marvelous Kate who suggested the repair), I knitted over to the red stitch marker and dropped the appropriate number of stitches.



Point protectors covered the two needles so that more stitches wouldn't drop off and create a bigger mess than the one I had started with. I quickly realized that one dpn and the crochet hook were insufficient for the job.



I needed a second dpn to work in concert with the first dpn in knitting up the stitches; it turns out that the crochet hook wasn't really that instrumental in the repair after all. Just as quickly I realized that a third dpn was needed to hold back the strands that were waiting to be knitted up. It was then that the thought struck me: I wasn't so much repairing the shawl as operating on it. Henceforth, this procedure shall be known as The Wedding Ring Surgery. Oh, would that I had a nurse to mop my sweaty brow as I worked further into the strands of silk...



Two and a half hours later, I had a repaired shawl. It isn't perfect by any means but it's enough to pass the galloping mustang test and I may go back after blocking and graft in a strand of leftover silk to tighten up the area. I might not need to, though, because blocking could very well smooth over the repaired area.

One last picture before I get to work on Frost Flowers & Leaves. The cat was using my french market bag as a bed so I decided to take pity on the poor feline and knit up a Kitty Pi for him. I took the project on our spring break vacation at the beach. The Kitty Pi soaked up the sun, as evidenced here:


1 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Well done on the surgery! Pictures look great and I'm sure a combination of blocking and/or the passage of time will even things out just fine. Oh, and I WAS a nurse in a previous existence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home