Thursday, May 18, 2006

332,630

WARNING: If statistics and generalized data geekiness scare the living daylights out of you, proceed at your own peril.

332,630.

Look at that number. Enjoy it. Revel in it. Respect it. But above all else, don't let it intimidate you if you are knitting the Wedding Ring Shawl. I finished up my spreadsheet* this morning, spent some time double checking for logic errors, and sussed out any mistakes in my computations (hopefully). Well all the formulas were put into place, I discovered that 332,630 is the total number of stitches required to complete the shawl.

While the stats geek is tickled pink to have quantified the project, the knitter finds herself experiencing the "barely starting scaling Mount Everest" feeling when pinpointing her position in the stats table. Of the 332,630 (I love typing that number!) stitches/2,742 rows or rounds, I have completed
- 12,597 stitches/51 rows
- 14.09% of the center
- 3.79% of the entire project

Hmmm...if my math is correct, at my current rate of progress, it will take me another three years and ten months to finish. Dang! I was planning on two years!

Let's think happier thoughts:


* If you are interested in a copy of my Wedding Ring Shawl spreadsheet, send me an email at zooks218 at yahoo dot com, or leave a comment with your email address.

3 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Kirsten said...

Wow! I love that you did the calculations on the Wedding Ring Shawl! There is an obsessive-compulsiveness to it that is almost heroic! A knitter who is not detered by that number is a true devotee of the art!
Good luck, it is a beautiful project.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger snowballinhell said...

Oh, holy mother of us all. I will be knitting this damned thing until I'm very, very old.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger susoolu said...

That number is so large it is just silly, therefore meaningless, and therefore it is not insane to take on the knit. (And how do you factor in for the mistakes? The tinking, and starting over - see, a silly number!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home