Monday, March 06, 2006

Yet another Oscar opinion

I’m not a fashion expert but I don’t let that stop me from having an opinion and expressing it! I know what I like and I call ‘em like I see ‘em.

Red Carpet frowns: Naomi Watts (far too much fluff), Ziyi Zhang, Jennifer Aniston (the material and the neckline looked so wrong), Helena Bonham Carter (scary!), Michelle William (wrong on so many levels), Lauren Hutton (can someone explain the dangly bits, please??), Sandra Bullock (bland bland bland).

Somewhere in the middle: Jennifer Garner (looking great three months post-pregnancy but the color wasn’t right), Reese Witherspoon (again, color wasn’t right and I couldn’t warm up to the fussy beading), Keira Knightly (stand up straight, girl!), Queen Latifah (the flounces competed with her full figure), Meryl Strep (love the color and the bodice, lukewarm on the skirt).

Unqualified successes: Hilary Swank (marvelous), Jennifer Lopez (never disappoints at the Oscars), Rachel Weisz (fantastic! becomingly radiant), Uma Thurman (looking luminous and lovely), Nicole Kidman (shares ranks with Charlize Theron in the glamour department, though I am concerned about how monochromatic Nicole is becoming over time; please, put a little color back in your hair!), Judi Dench.

Now for the best and the worst.

Biggest disappointment: I love
Charlize Theron. She’s gorgeous and so stylish and my replacement for the red-carpet Sharon Stone but I was so disappointed in her whole look last night. The dress was a shapeless mess of too much material and the hair was dreadful.

Best couple: Hands down
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. These two always look marvelous together. I’ll be disappointed if this marriage doesn’t stand the test of time.

Best dressed:
Jessica Alba. It was tough to pick between Hillary Swank and Alba, but Alba got my nod because she had the whole package: dress, hair, make up, jewelry.



Progress on the Jaywalkers continues. I like this pattern; it's simple and fun and I think just the thing for this Christmas's sock gift pattern.



The short-row heel proved to be no problem. The only minor snag came in when joining the instep back into the round. I like to pick up a few extra stitches into the joins where the instep meets up with the heel, but it was tricky to pick up yet maintain the slipped stitch that makes up the outside ridges of the pattern. I fudged, and it came out okay. I've also got to increase three stitches on each of the heel and am doing that one stitch at a time on the pattern rows (instep) before starting in on the pattern all the way around. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

2 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger PERFECT KIMMIE_ilovenyinjune said...

love the yarn your using. what color is it?

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Zooks said...

Kim, the yarn for the Jaywalkers is Star Gazer Lily from Knit Picks. Here's the link: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420105/yarn_display.aspx

The color photographed very well and is a good representation. I like working with this yarn -- though it's not treated so it's a handwash wool. I wear my socks mostly around the home to keep my feet warm, so I don't know how well it wears in shoes.

Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home