Wednesday, March 01, 2006

These socks are made for walkin'

Yet another pair of Wendy's Toe-Up socks has made it off the needles and into the realm of the Finished Object:



I just love this pattern -- it's so simple and easy and I can just about knit it in my sleep now. I haven't done anything more adventurous than a plain 4x4 ribbing for the leg but I'm starting to feel the itch to branch out into something a little more complicated. The problem is that I really don't care for top down socks, which is how most of the fun patterns are written. I'd really love to knit the Jaywalker socks toe up, which JennyRaye performed for her Knitting Olympics, so I know it's possible to adjust the pattern accordingly. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

About the yarn...Socks that Rock in Iolite. I love Socks that Rock. It's 100% superwash wool -- I'm not a big fan of any man-made fiber content in my socks thought I do admit to lusting after the Liberty Shepherd Sock that JennyRaye used for her Jaywalkers -- and I love the stitch definition. The colors are delightfully vibrant...but the yarn I received in the mail is nothing like Iolite swatch displayed on the website I bought the yarn from. On the website the colors are deep purple, royal purple, and deep green. No blues. Lots of deep hues. I decided to keep the yarn and knit up the socks anyway even though I'd have preferred the jewel tones I thought I would be getting.

So now it's time to select yarn for the next pair of socks. The stash is currently holding the following selection:



From left to right: Socks that Rock in Scottish Highlands, Sock that Rock in Sapphire, Knit Picks Sock Landscape in New England, Knit Picks Sock Garden in Star Gazer Lily, and Knit Picks Sock Landscape in Grandma. Star Gazer Lily got the nod.

I started practicing for the Wedding Ring Shawl with the gossamer silk yesterday. What a pain in the ass. It's so hard to see the stitches! Casting on is tough, but thankfully knitting is much easier. I suspect a good part of my trouble is that I like to knit with bamboo or wood needles which has very little slip (save me from Addi Turbos!) and allows me to keep stitches close to the points without fear of them slipping off. I need to adjust to using metal needles before starting the real deal.

Edited to include: Woohoo! With a minimal amount of digging, I discovered the toe-up version of Jaywalker on Grumperina's website! Star Gazer Lily, meet Jaywalker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home