Wednesday, February 01, 2006

142 stitches down, 157 left to go

I knit one whole repeat on Birch last night which left me with 157 stitches on the needles. It may seem like a lot but when you decrease 10 stitches every eight rows, I am definitely on the downhill side of this shawl. I should definitely finish Birch by Saturday and hopefully I can finish the pair of Iolite socks prior to the 10th.

I really love the Birch pattern. I don’t have a wealth of experience with knitting lace but I love the deceptive simplicity of Birch. Once I figured out the pattern and the certain tricks to make sure I am correctly lining up each row (the first time I knit a Birch, it didn’t dawn on me until I finished the first repeat that the “yarn forward, knit one, yarn forward” have to line up – doh! rookie mistake!), I was on autopilot. I also find using placemarkers every ten stitches on the right side row to be an invaluable aid in catching mistakes.

Now that I put into pixels my desire to teach myself Venetian lace, I’ve started thinking about gathering the equipment. I ordered a cone of Gossamer Silk from Heirloom Knitting (can’t pass up a 25% discount!) which I think will work perfectly. Now I just need to scare up one of those cylindrical pillows the ladies on Burano use. I think needlepoint lace will be a summertime project when it’s just too sticky to knit with wool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home